Maps of Arkansas are an important element of genealogy and family history research, notably in the event you live faraway from where your ancestor was living. Since Arkansas political boundaries sometimes changed, historic maps are significant in assisting you find out the precise location of your ancestor’s home town, what land they owned, who his or her neighbors happen to be, and much more.
Maps of Arkansas generally are likely to be an exceptional reference for getting started with your own research, simply because they provide you with significantly beneficial information and facts right away. Arkansas Maps can be a major source of significant amounts of information on family history.
Arkansas borders Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. Arkansas’s 10 largest cities are Little Rock, Fort Smith, Fayetteville, Springdale, Jonesboro, North Little Rock, Conway, Rogers, Pine Bluff and Bentonville. Learn more about Historical Facts of Arkansas Counties.
The Arkansas State Highway Commission, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, prepared a complete set of Arkansas county maps entitled General Highway and Transportation Maps of Counties of Arkansas (n.p., n.d.). These detailed maps show such landmarks as roads, cemeteries, towns, railroads, watercourses, dwellings, farms, churches, schools, businesses, factory or industrial plants, and sawmills for each county in the state. Copies of this softbound compilation, no longer available for purchase, are available for research at the Arkansas History Commission, which also houses a fine collection of maps pertaining to Arkansas. Copies of a few of these are included in Norris’ Arkansas Links.
Copies of individual county maps and reproductions of old Arkansas maps may be obtained from the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, Map Sales, P.O. Box 2261, Little Rock, Arkansas 72203. A large collection of maps, atlases, and gazetteers for Arkansas and other states is maintained by the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.
Contact us if you have a map of Arkansas or link to a Arkansas Map you would like to see listed.
Interactive Map of Arkansas County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of ArkansasDisclaimer: All Arkansas maps are free to use for your own genealogical purposes and may not be reproduced for resale or distribution.Source: David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
Arkansas – 1814
1814 Arkansas Map
Arkansas – 1822
1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Map Of Arkansas Territory
Arkansas – 1827
1827 Map of the States of Missouri and Territory of Arkansas
Arkansas – 1836
1836 Map Of Arkansas with its Canals, Roads & Distances
Arkansas – 1845
1845 Arkansas Atlas Map
Arkansas – 1856
1856 Arkansas Atlas Map
Arkansas – 1866
1866 Map of Arkansas
Arkansas – 1880
1880 County map of the states of Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Arkansas
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Arkansas Map Links
- Arkansas Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Arkansas Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Arkansas Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- From Memdag to Norsk: A Historical Directory of Arkansas Post Offices, 1832–1971. Hot Springs, Ark.: Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1988.
- Township Atlas of Arkansas, 1819–1930. Revised. Hot Springs, Ark.: Arkansas Genealogical Society, 2003. Data taken from federal census, “Civil Appointment” in the secretary of state’s office, and county court records. Includes township location, date of formation and changes in name, and area covered.
- Arkansas Township Atlas: A History of the Minor Civil Divisions in Each Arkansas County. Hot Springs, Ark.: Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1989.
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Arkansas (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Arkansas Map Books (amazon.com)