Maps of Texas are an very helpful area of genealogy and family history research, particularly in the event you live faraway from where your ancestor was living. Because Texas political borders sometimes changed, historic maps are generally crucial in assisting you find out the precise location of your ancestor’s home town, just what land they owned, who their neighbors ended up being, and a lot more.
Maps of Texas often are likely to be an outstanding resource for how to get started with your own research, given that they provide you with considerably important information and facts right away. Texas Maps is usually a major resource of substantial amounts of information on family history.
The 10 largest cities in Texas are Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, Arlington, Corpus Christi, Plano and Laredo. Learn more about Historical Facts of Texas Counties.
The GLO houses original plat maps for the state (see www.glo.state.tx.us/archives/map_description.html). The Archives Division, Texas State Library, maintains an excellent collection of Texas maps. Original, photocopies, and compiled maps include general state, county survey, road and highway, United States Geological Survey, coastal and nautical, street, town plats, and Birdseye maps with card index to the collection, arranged by date or location. James M. Day’s Maps of Texas, 1527–1900: The Map Collection of the Texas State Archives (Austin, Tex.: Pemberton Press, 1964) describes maps in the collection acquired prior to 1965.
Contact us if you have a map of Texas or link to a Texas Map you would like to see listed.
Interactive Map of Texas County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Texas
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Mexico
- 1845 Mexico Atlas Map (with) Central America and Yucatan
- 1845 Atlas Map of Texas
- 1845 A Atlas Map of the Indian Territory, northern Texas and New Mexico showing the great western prairies
- 1856 Atlas Map of Texas with two inset maps: Plan of Galveston Bay From the U.S. Coast Survey and Plan of Sabine Lake
- 1880 County Map of the state of Texas. Showing also portions of the adjoining states and territories
Texas Map Links
- Texas Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Texas Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Texas Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- A gazetteer of Texas (search.ancestry.com)
- Texas General Land Office Map Collection (glo.texas.gov)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Texas (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Map Collection of the Texas State Archives (tsl.state.tx.us)
- University of Texas at Austin and El Paso Map Collection (libraries.uta.edu)
- Southern Methodist University DeGrolyer Library Map Collection (smu.edu)
- Texas Map Books (amazon.com)