Maps of Indiana tend to be an invaluable part of ancestors and family history research, especially in the event you live far from where your ancestor was living. Because Indiana political boundaries oftentimes changed, historic maps tend to be important in assisting you find out the exact location of your ancestor’s hometown, exactly what land they owned, just who their neighbors happen to be, and more.
Maps of Indiana generally are likely to be an exceptional source for getting started with your research, since they provide considerably beneficial information and facts instantly. Indiana Maps can be a major resource of substantial amounts of information on family history.
Each county’s surveyor’s office holds county maps. Copies may be available for purchase. Contemporary maps of cities, townships, and counties are available, as well as historical maps for each county. Other maps and information can be found in the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries: Indiana. The Indiana Department of Conservation can provide geological and topographical survey maps of the area.
Sanborn fire insurance maps from 1883 and years after are also available. Some of them can be found on microfilm at the Indiana State Library. A more complete collection can be found in Bloomington at the Indiana University Geography and Map Library.
The Indiana State Library holds plat maps and atlases from 1875 to present for the various counties. Many of those maps list schools, railroads, cemeteries, churches, main roads, and other major landmarks.
Interactive Map of Indiana County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Indiana
These are scanned from the original copies so you can see Indiana and Indiana counties as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago. Some Indiana maps years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the avid genealogist in Indiana.
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Indiana
- 1827 Map of Indiana, Ohio & Illinois, and Part of the Michigan Territory
- 1836 A New Atlas Map Of Indiana with its Roads & Distances
- 1845 Atlas Map of Indiana
- 1856 Atlas Map of Indiana Atlas Map
- 1866 A Diagram of the State of Indiana
- 1880 County & township map of the states of Ohio and Indiana
Indiana Map Links
- Indiana Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net
- Historic Indiana Atlases (indiamond6.ulib.iupui.edu)
- Indiana Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Indiana Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Indiana (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Indiana Map Books (amazon.com)