Maps of Michigan are an invaluable element of genealogy and family tree research, especially in the event you live faraway from where your ancestor was living. Because Michigan political borders sometimes changed, historic maps are generally important in helping you find out the precise location of your ancestor’s home, just what land they owned, just who their neighbors ended up being, and a lot more.
Maps of Michigan generally tend to be an excellent source for getting started with your research, given that they provide considerably useful information and facts immediately. Michigan Maps can be a major resource of significant amounts of information on family history.
The largest cities (2010) are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Warren, Sterling Heights, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Flint, Dearborn, Livonia and Clinton Township. Learn more about Historical Facts of Michigan Counties.
A John Farmer 1855 Wayne County plat map was the first Michigan map to show land ownership. H. F. Wallings’s 1873 atlas for the entire state was reprinted in 1977 by The Bookmark, in Knightstown, Indiana. Many county maps indicating ownership were published as part of the 1876 centennial. Extensive map collections are available at the Library of Michigan and the Burton Historical Collection.
Consult Robert W. Karrow’s Checklist of Printed Maps of the Middle West to 1900 (Chicago: The Newberry Library, n.d.). This fourteen-volume set lists all known pre-1900 plat maps and plat books for eleven states, including Michigan.
The earliest Sanborn map for Michigan is the year 1868 for the community of Lansing.
Interactive Map of Michigan County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Michigan
- 1822 Geographical Historical And Statistical Map Of Michigan Territory
- 1827 Map of the States of Ohio Indiana & Illinois and Part of the Michigan Territory
- 1836 Map Of Michigan with its Canals Roads & Distances
- 1845 Michigan Map
- 1856 Michigan Map
- 1856 Lake Superior And The Northern Part Of Michigan
- 1866 Sketch of the Public Surveys in Michigan
- 1880 County and township map of the states of Michigan and Wisconsin
- 1880 Plan of Detroit
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Michigan
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Michigan Map Links
- Michigan Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Michigan Maps Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- USGenWeb Archives Michigan Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Michigan Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (loc.gov)
- Michigan Gazetteer 1839 (search.ancestry.com)
- U.S. Indexed County Land Ownership Maps 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Michigan (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Bibliography of the printed maps of Michigan 1804-1880 : with a series of over one hundred reproductions of maps constituting (search.ancestry.com)
- Michigan Map Books (amazon.com)