Maps of Rhode Island are an invaluable tool for family history research, particularly in the event you live far from where your ancestor was living.
Since Rhode Island’s political borders have frequently changed over the years, historic maps are important in helping you discover the specific location of your ancestor’s hometown, exactly what land they owned, just who their neighbors ended up being, and much more besides.
Maps of Rhode Island are a great resource for starting out with your own research because they provide helpful information and facts right away, and they present them in a clear and simple format. Rhode Island Maps are sure to offer plenty of fascinating data regarding your family history.
Interactive Map of Rhode Island County Formation History
List of Every Rhode Island County
Established in 1703, Providence County is the most populous county in Rhode Island, with approximately 643,000 residents. The county is home to the state capital of Providence, as well as many colleges and universities, including Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design.
Kent County was founded in 1750 and has a population of around 164,000. The county is located in the central part of the state and includes the city of Warwick, which is the second-largest city in Rhode Island.
Established in 1729, Washington County is the largest county in Rhode Island by land area but has a relatively small population of approximately 126,000. The county includes many scenic coastal areas, including the town of Narragansett and Block Island.
Newport County was founded in 1703 and has a population of around 82,000 people. The county includes the city of Newport, which is known for its historic mansions and scenic waterfront.
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Rhode Island
- 1776 Atlas Map of New England
- 1776 Atlas Map of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut (Southern section)
- 1795 Map of Rhode Island
- 1804 Atlas Map of Rhode Island
- 1814 Atlas Map of Rhode Island
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Map Of Rhode Island
- 1827 Map of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island
- 1845 Map of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
- 1856 Connecticut With Portions Of New York & Rhode Island Map
- 1856 Massachusetts And Rhode Island. (with) Vicinity of Boston Map
- 1880 County and township map of the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island
Rhode Island Map Links
- Rhode Island State Park Map (mapofus.org)
- Rhode Island Lakes and Rivers Map (mapofus.org)
- Rhode Island Map With Cities and Highways (mapofus.org)
- Rhode Island Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Old Historical Maps of Rhode Island (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Rhode Island Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Rhode Island Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- Road and hand book of Massachusetts and Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Rhode Island (old-maps.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Rhode Island Map Books (amazon.com)