Maps of Virginia are an crucial piece of family history research, particularly in case you live faraway from where your ancestor lived. Because Virginia political boundaries sometimes changed, historic maps are important in helping you discover the exact specific location of your ancestor’s home, what land they owned, just who their neighbors ended up being, and much more.
Maps of Virginia typically are likely to be an excellent resource for getting started with your own research, because they give significantly important information and facts quickly. Virginia Maps can be a major resource of considerable amounts of information and facts on family history.
Virginia borders Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Washington, District of Columbia. Virginia’s 10 largest cities are Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Richmond, Newport News, Alexandria , Hampton, Roanoke , Portsmouth and Suffolk. Learn more about Historical Facts of Virginia Counties.
Contact us if you have a map of Virginia or link to a Virginia Map you would like to see listed.
Interactive Map of Virginia County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Virginia
Disclaimer: All Virginia maps are free to use for your own genealogical purposes and may not be reproduced for resale or distribution.Source: David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
- 1795 Map of Virginia
- 1804 Atlas Map of Virginia
- 1814 Atlas Map of Virginia
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Map Of District of Columbia
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Map Of Virginia
- 1827 Map of Virginia and Maryland (inset) Plan of Washington City & Georgetown
- 1836 A New Atlas Map Of Virginia With Its Canals, Roads & Distances from place to place, along the Stage & Steam Boat Routes
- 1845 Atlas Map of Virginia
- 1856 Atlas Map of Virginia with two inset maps: Richmond Henrico County, Manchester and Springhill Chesterfield Co.; Norfolk, Portsmouth And Gosport
- 1880 County Map of Virginia and West Virginia
Virginia Map Links
- Virginia Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Virginia Civil War Maps – Maps, charts, and atlases depicting battles, troop positions and movements, engagements, and fortifications in Virginia during the Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Virginia Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Virginia Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Virginia (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Atlas of County Boundary Changes in Virginia, 1634-1895 (amazon.com)
- Maps Relating to Virginia in the Virginia State Library and other Departments of the Commonwealth (amazon.com)
- Index of Kentucky & Virginia maps, 1562 to 1900 (amazon.com)
- Map collection of The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)