Maps of Ohio tend to be an vital element of genealogy and family tree research, particularly in the event you live far from where your ancestor resided. Given that Ohio political borders sometimes changed, historic maps are generally essential in assisting you find out the exact location of your ancestor’s home, exactly what land they owned, just who their neighbors had been, and a lot more.
Maps of Ohio usually have a tendency to be an excellent resource for getting started with your research, since they provide you with significantly useful information and facts right away. Ohio Maps are usually a major resource of considerable amounts of details on family history.
Ohio borders Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan. Ohio’s 10 largest cities are Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron, Dayton, Parma, Youngstown, Canton and Lorain. Learn more about Historical Facts of Ohio Counties.
An 1875 map of Zanesville by Sanborn Insurance still exists today. It can be found at the Ohio Historical Society. The Newberry Library, Checklist of Printed Maps of the Middle West to 1800 is also a useful source of information on Ohio maps, although it is not complete. For instance, it does not include a listing of the maps that can be found at the Western Reserve Historical Society. There are also partial collections of Sanborn maps available at various Ohio libraries on microfilm. Some can also be found on library websites.
Contact us if you have a map of Ohio or link to a Ohio Map you would like to see listed.
Interactive Map of Ohio County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Ohio
These are scanned from the original copies so you can see Ohio and Ohio counties as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago. Some Ohio maps years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the avid genealogist in Ohio.
- 1804 Ohio Atlas Map
- 1814 Atlas Map of Ohio
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Ohio
- 1827 Map of the States of Ohio, Ohio, & Illinois, and Part of the Michigan Territory
- 1836 A New Atlas Map Of Ohio with its Canals, Roads & Distances (with) Cincinnati
- 1845 Ohio Atlas Map
- 1856 Ohio Atlas Map. (with) Vicinity Of Cleveland Cuyahoga Co.
- 1856 City of Cincinnati
- 1866 State of Ohio
- 1880 County & township map of the states of Ohio and Ohio
- 1880 Plan of Cincinnati and vicinity
Ohio Map Links
- Ohio Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- U.S., Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats, 1785-1898 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ohio Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Ohio Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Ohio Map Books (amazon.com)