Maps of Minnesota are generally an vital area of genealogy and family history research, particularly if you live faraway from where your ancestor was living. Due to the fact Minnesota political boundaries often changed, historic maps are generally important in helping you find out the exact specific location of your ancestor’s home, what land they owned, just who their neighbors were, and more.
Maps of Minnesota often have a tendency to be an outstanding resource for getting started with your own research, because they provide considerably important information and facts immediately. Minnesota Maps are usually a major source of substantial amounts of information on family history.
Minnesota is bordered by Iowa (south), Michigan across Lake Superior, North Dakota in the northwest, South Dakota in the southwest, Wisconsin in the east and Canada to the north. The 10 largest cities are Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester, Duluth, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Plymouth, St. Cloud, Eagan, Woodbury.
Interactive Map of Minnesota County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Minnesota
These are scanned from the original copies so you can see Minnesota and Minnesota counties as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago. Some Minnesota maps years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the avid genealogist in Minnesota.
- 1856 Minnesota Map
- 1866 Sketch of the Public Surveys in the State of Minnesota
- 1880 County map of Minnesota
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Minnesota
The Minnesota Department of Transportation is pleased to provide highly detailed county maps online. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps. In addition to roads and boundaries, these maps include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. Paper copies of these maps can be obtained at Mn/DOT’s Map and Manual Sales
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Minnesota Map Links
- Minnesota Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Minnesota Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Minnesota Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- Historic Township Plats (state.mn.us)
- Air Photography 1930’s & 1950 (state.mn.us)
- County Subdivision Outline Map and County Location Index (census.gov)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Minnesota (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Minnesota USGenWeb Archives Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Minnesota County Subdivision Outline Map and County Location Index (census.gov)
- Minnesota Map Books (amazon.com)