When it comes to researching family history, maps can be valuable tools. There is a series of 18th century maps from 1794 to 1795 covering several towns in Massachusetts. It was published by the Massachusetts Archives. There is also another map series that was done in 1831 originally. Copies of it are on file in many different libraries. Many Massachusetts towns also have their own collections of town maps from different times, which can be used to track dwellings and land ownership over a certain time period.
F.W. Beers atlases were commonly made depicting maps of New England states in the 1870s. Most large libraries have copies of those maps, which are the size of folios, on file. Those maps often showed churches, residences and owners, roads, cemeteries, and schools.
The Massachusetts Archives is home to several collections of maps showing early land distribution in the state, as well as depicting town lots. Multiple town offices have excellent printed maps on file as well. So does the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Massachusetts borders Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. Massachusetts 10 largest cities are Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, Cambridge, New Bedford, Brockton, Quincy, Lynn and Fall River. Learn more about Historical Facts of Massachusetts Counties.
Interactive Map of Massachusetts County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Massachusetts
These are scanned from the original copies so you can see Massachusetts and Massachusetts counties as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago. Some Massachusetts maps years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the avid genealogist in Massachusetts.
- 1776 New England Map
- 1776 Provinces of Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island Atlas Map. (Southern section)
- 1776 Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire Map
- 1795 Map of Massachusetts
- 1804 Massachusetts Map
- 1814 Map of Massachusetts
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Massachusetts
- 1827 Map of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island
- 1836 Map Of Massachusetts And Rhode Island: (with) Boston
- 1845 Massachusetts and Rhode Island Map
- 1856 Massachusetts And Rhode Island. (with) Vicinity of Boston
- 1856 Map Of Boston And Adjacent Cities
- 1880 County and township map of the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island
- 1880 Plan of Boston. (with) Map of the country around Boston showing also its harbor and islands
Massachusetts Map Links
- Massachusetts Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Massachusetts Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Massachusetts (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Massachusetts Maps Description (ancestry.com) from Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources.
- Historic USGS Maps of Massachusetts (docs.unh.edu)
- Old Maps of Massachusetts (old-maps.com)
- Massachusetts Map Books (amazon.com)