Maps of Nebraska tend to be an important area of ancestors and family history research, especially if you live faraway from where your ancestor was living. Given that Nebraska political boundaries often changed, historic maps tend to be significant in helping you find out the precise specific location of your ancestor’s hometown, exactly what land they owned, exactly who their neighbors ended up being, and more.
Maps of Nebraska often are likely to be an excellent source for how to get started with your research, because they provide you with significantly valuable information and facts immediately. Nebraska Maps can be a major resource of considerable amounts of information on family history.
The Nebraska State Historical Society holds the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for Nebraska. The society has an excellent collection of early county atlases covering most of the state, including some 500 county atlases or plat books from 1885 to about 1947. For a listing, see Nebraska County Atlases/Platbooks at www.nebraskahistory.org/databases/atlas.shtml
Nebraska’s 10 largest cities are Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue, Grand Island, Kearney, Fremont, Hastings, North Platte, Norfolk and Columbus. Learn more about Historical Facts of Nebraska Counties.
Interactive Map of Nebraska County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Nebraska
- 1856 Nebraska And Kanzas Atlas Map
- 1866 Map Showing the progress of the Public surveys in Kansas and Nebraska
- 1880 County & township map of the states of Kansas and Nebraska
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Nebraska
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Nebraska Map Links
- Nebraska Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Nebraska Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Nebraska Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Nebraska (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Nebraska USGenWeb Archives Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Nebraska Map Books (amazon.com)