Maps of Maryland tend to be an vital area of ancestors and family history research, notably in the event you live faraway from where your ancestor lived. Due to the fact Maryland political borders often changed, historic maps are critical in assisting you find out the precise specific location of your ancestor’s home, exactly what land they owned, just who their neighbors were, and more.
Maps of Maryland usually have a tendency to be an outstanding resource for how to get started with your research, given that they provide you with substantially useful information and facts quickly. Maryland Maps is usually a major source of substantial amounts of information and facts on family history.
The largest cities are Baltimore; Frederick, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Bowie, Hagerstown, Annapolis, College Park, Salisbury and Greenbelt. Learn more about Historical Facts of Maryland Counties.
Reprints of county topographical maps are available from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Maryland Geological Survey, 2300 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21218. A good collection of maps, atlases, and plats is at the Maryland State Archives, many of which are indexed by place and some by names of tracts and owners. Early maps of Maryland are in Russell Morrison, and others, On the Map (Chestertown, Md.: Washington College, 1983). Other fine and useful maps are at the Maryland Historical Society. Mary Ross Brown, An Illustrated Genealogy of the Counties of Maryland and the District of Columbia (Silver Spring, Md.: the author, 1967) includes maps that show the county changes and also ward maps of Baltimore for 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880. Atlases have been published for some of the counties, and county maps are to be found in most county histories.
Interactive Map of Maryland County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Maryland
- 1795 Map of Maryland
- 1804 Maryland Atlas Map
- 1814 Atlas Map of Maryland
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of District of Columbia
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Maryland
- 1827 Map of Virginia and Maryland, Constructed from the Latest Authorities. (inset) Plan of Washington City & Georgetown..
- 1836 Atlas Map Of Maryland and Delaware with their Canals, Roads & Distances(with) Baltimore. Entered … 1833
- 1845 Maryland and Delaware (with) District of Columbia. Atlas Map
- 1856 Delaware And Maryland. (with) District of Columbia. Atlas Map
- 1856 City Of Baltimore Maryland Atlas Map
- 1856 Georgetown And The City Of Washington The Capital Of The United States Of America Atlas Map
- 1880 Plan of Baltimore
- 1880 County map of New Jersey. County map of Maryland and Delaware
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Maryland
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Maryland Map Links
- Maryland Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Maryland Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Maryland State Archives Map Collections (mdsa.net)
- Maryland Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Maryland (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Maryland USGenWeb Archives Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- University Libraries Maryland Map Collection (lib.umd.edu)
- The Huntingfield Map Collection (msa.md.gov)
- Maryland Map Books (amazon.com)