Maps of Illinois are an invaluable area of ancestors and family history research, notably if you live far from where your ancestor was living. Given that Illinois political borders frequently changed, historic maps tend to be important in assisting you uncover the exact specific location of your ancestor’s home town, exactly what land they owned, just who his or her neighbors happen to be, and a lot more.
Maps of Illinois typically are likely to be an excellent resource for getting started with your research, because they give considerably beneficial information and facts instantly. Illinois Maps are usually a major resource of considerable amounts of information on family history.
Illinois 10 largest cities are Chicago, Aurora, Rockford, Joliet, Naperville, Springfield, Peoria, Elgin, Waukegan and Cicero. Learn more about Historical Facts of Illinois Counties.
County atlases and plat books at the Illinois State Historical Library (ca. 1870–1930) give details of each township and indicate ownership. Plat books, however, may not be photocopied or loaned. Excellent map collections can also be found at Illinois State Library, Chicago Historical Society, and the map library of the University of Illinois, Champaign–Urbana. A Checklist of Illinois State Library’s Complete Holding of Illinois County Land Ownership Maps and Atlases (Springfield, Ill.: The Library, n.d.) is available from the Illinois State Library.
Illinois highway maps are available free through either of the following offices: Illinois Secretary of State, Communications Department, Springfield, IL 62756; or Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, 620 E. Adams, Springfield, IL 62701.
Interactive Map of Illinois County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Illinois
- 1776 Course Of The River Mississipi, from the Balise to Fort Chartres Atlas Map
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Illinois
- Map of the Illinois, Ohio & Indiana and Part of the Michigan Territory
- 1836 A New Atlas Map Of Illinois With Its Proposed Canals, Roads & Distances from place to place, along the Stage & Steam Boat Routes
- 1845 Atlas Map of Illinois
- 1856 Atlas Map of Illinois
- 1856 City Of St. Louis Missouri. (with) The City Of Chicago Illinois Atlas Map
- 1866 Map of the State of Illinois
- 1880 County & township map of the state of Illinois with Vicinity of Springfield
- 1880 Map of Chicago
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Illinois
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Illinois Map Links
- Illinois Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Illinois Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Illinois Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Illinois (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Illinois USGenWeb Archives Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Federal Township Plats of Illinois (1804-1891) (landplats.ilsos.net)
- Illinois Map Books (amazon.com)