Maps of Illinois are an invaluable area of ancestors and family history research, notably if you live far from where your ancestor was living. Given that Illinois political borders frequently changed, historic maps tend to be important in assisting you uncover the exact specific location of your ancestor’s home town, exactly what land they owned, just who his or her neighbors happen to be, and a lot more.
Maps of Illinois typically are likely to be an excellent resource for getting started with your research, because they give considerably beneficial information and facts instantly. Illinois Maps are usually a major resource of considerable amounts of information on family history.
The Illinois State Historical Library has county plat books and atlases available for the years of around 1870 to 1930. Those maps show townships and ownership of various lands at the times that the maps were drawn. However, plat books must be examined on-site. They are not available for loans or photocopying. The University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Chicago Historical Society, and the Illinois State Library also have large Illinois map collections available. The Illinois State Library can also provide a list of its land map and atlas holdings.
The following offices have free highway maps for Illinois available:
- Illinois Secretary of State
- Communications Department
- Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
The oldest available Illinois Sanborn map is from 1884.
Interactive Map of Illinois County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Illinois
These are scanned from the original copies so you can see Illinois and Illinois counties as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago. Some Illinois maps years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the avid genealogist in Illinois.
- 1776 Course Of The River Mississipi, from the Balise to Fort Chartres Atlas Map
- 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Illinois
- Map of the Illinois, Ohio & Indiana and Part of the Michigan Territory
- 1836 A New Atlas Map Of Illinois With Its Proposed Canals, Roads & Distances from place to place, along the Stage & Steam Boat Routes
- 1845 Atlas Map of Illinois
- 1856 Atlas Map of Illinois
- 1856 City Of St. Louis Missouri. (with) The City Of Chicago Illinois Atlas Map
- 1866 Map of the State of Illinois
- 1880 County & township map of the state of Illinois with Vicinity of Springfield
- 1880 Map of Chicago
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Illinois
The Illinois Highway Department has prepared a series of county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps. In addition to roads and boundaries, these maps include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
The Illinois TOWNSHIP General Highway Maps emphasize the display of the road network on a regional basis without regard to specific city and village boundaries.
Illinois Map Links
- Illinois Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Illinois Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Illinois Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Illinois (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Illinois USGenWeb Archives Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Federal Township Plats of Illinois (1804-1891) (landplats.ilsos.net)
- Illinois Map Books (amazon.com)