Maps of California are an crucial element of family history research, notably if you live faraway from where your ancestor resided. Due to the fact California political borders sometimes changed, historic maps are generally crucial in assisting you uncover the precise specific location of your ancestor’s hometown, just what land they owned, just who their neighbors were, and a lot more.
Maps of California often tend to be an excellent source for starting out with your own research, simply because they provide you with significantly valuable information and facts right away. California Maps is usually a major resource of significant amounts of information and facts on family history.
California is bordered by Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. California’s 10 largest cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco Fresno, Sacramento, Long Beach, Oakland, Bakersfield and Anaheim. Learn more about Historical Facts of California Counties.
Contact us if you have a map of California or link to a California Map you would like to see listed.
Interactive Map of California County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of California
These are scanned from the original copies so you can see California and California counties as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago. Some California maps years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the avid genealogist in California.
- 1845 Atlas Map of the Californias
- 1856 California Atlas Map
- 1866 Map of the Public Surveys in California and Nevada
- 1880 County map of the state of California (with) San Francisco, (with) San Francisco Bay and vicinity
California Map Links
- California Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- California Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- California Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of California (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- California historic topographic map collection
- California as an island, Louis Hennepin 1699 (University of Minnesota)
- Beckwourth Trail
- California 1873 – Bancroft’s Map of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona (UNLV Libraries)
- California 1895
- California 1901 Southern Pacific Railway Map (David Rumsey Collection) [Opens in new window]
- California – Historical Road Maps of Southern California (Mike Ballard)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps (UC Berkeley Library)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps (California State University, Chico)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps – Southern California [.sid format] (UCSB)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps – Los Angeles (William Bowen)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps – Monterey Bay Region (UC Berkeley Library)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps – San Diego County (SDAG)
- California – Historical Topographic Maps – San Francisco Bay Area (UC Berkeley Library)
- California Map Books (amazon.com)