Maps of Iowa are generally an important element of ancestors and family history research, notably in case you live far from where your ancestor was living. Due to the fact Iowa political boundaries often changed, historic maps tend to be essential in assisting you uncover the exact location of your ancestor’s home, what land they owned, just who their neighbors were, and much more.
Maps of Iowa generally tend to be an excellent reference for how to get started with your own research, because they provide considerably useful information and facts instantly. Iowa Maps can be a major resource of substantial amounts of details on family history.
Iowa’s 10 largest cities are Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City, Waterloo, Iowa City, Council Bluffs, Ames, Dubuque and West Des Moines. Learn more about Historical Facts of Iowa Counties.
Interactive Map of Iowa County Formation History
Old Antique Atlases & Maps of IowaDisclaimer: All Iowa maps are free to use for your own genealogical purposes and may not be reproduced for resale or distribution. Source: David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
1845 Map Of Iowa
1845 Iowa and Wisconsin Atlas Map
1845 Atlas Map of Iowa Area
1845 A Atlas Map of the Indian Territory, northern Texas and New Mexico showing the great western prairies
1866 Map Of Iowa
1866 Diagram of the Public Surveys in Iowa
1880 Map Of Iowa
1880 County & township map of the states of Iowa and Missouri
D.O.T. County Road and Highway Maps of Iowa
To View the Map: Just click the Image to view the map online. In order to make the Image size as small as possible they were save on the lowest resolution.
Iowa Map Links
- Iowa Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Iowa Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- Iowa Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Historical Maps of Iowa (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- American Memory Map Collection: 1500-2004 (memory.loc.gov)
- Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1884-1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains the 1884-85 Iowa gazetteer and business directory. The gazetteer covers each city, town, village, and settlement in Iowa and includes a description of each place and a directory of the people engaged in business or the professions located there.
- Iowa state gazetteer (search.ancestry.com) embracing descriptive and historical sketches of counties, cities, towns and villages, which include much valuable information respecting the agriculture, manufactories, commerce, educational and religious institutions, population and history of the state : to which is added a shippers’ guide and a classified business directory of the manufacturers, merchants, professional and tradesmen of Iowa, together with their business address
- Iowa USGenWeb Archives Digital Map Library (usgwarchives.net)
- Iowa Map Books (amazon.com)